When to apply
To help you plan for you next DMU Global experience we have included all of the key deadlines you need to know about below for 2019-20. Each year there will be 3 rounds of applications with a variety of opportunities available in each round. Round 1, 2 is primarily focused on academic trips, with Round 3 consisting of a mix of academic trips and extra-curricular summer opportunities.
|Application round||Trip dates||Application Open||Application deadline|
|1||1 September – 31 December 2019||Monday 6 May 2019||Monday 29 May 2019 9am|
|2||1 January – 26 April 2020||Monday 30 September 2019||Monday 21 October 2019 9am|
|3||27 April – 31 August 2020||Monday 20 January 2020||Monday 10 February 2020 9am|
How to apply
To apply for a DMU Global opportunity you need to complete our online application form. Click the ‘Apply Now’ button or link (these are unique to each opportunity) in the opportunity advert that you would like to apply for. In our application form you will need to complete your details as well as the two essay questions below:
- What are your reasons for selecting this opportunity?
- What skills or knowledge do you hope to develop as a result of participating in this opportunity?
As long as you are eligible to take part in the opportunity, selection decisions will be based on the quality of your answers for the essay questions. Below we have included some tips for writing a good application:
- Prepare your answers for the two motivation statements in advance of making the application
- Use the 300 word limit for each question to fully explain and showcase your interest in the opportunity
- Clearly demonstrate your motivations with particular reference to academic, professional or personal development
- Make specific reference to the opportunity you are applying for, your interest in the country, culture and planned activities
Accepting your place
You will receive the outcome of your application by email within 14 days of the opportunity deadline closing. If you are offered a place, you will need to complete the following steps to formally accept your place:
- Submit some additional details to help us better meet your needs and accept the student agreement, the terms and conditions of your experience.
- Submit your bank details in the MyBank Account tile (only if you are responsible for booking travel). We will aim to pay your bursary into the specified account at least two months before your departure date.
After you have formally accepted your place, you will be invited to attend a DMU Global briefing session. This will give you more information about your trip as well as the next steps you need to take (e.g. making travel plans).
If bookings are being made by your Faculty, the bursary will be deducted from the total cost of the booking. You will be asked to make a payment for the remainder of the cost to your faculty through the DMU online store. This will be communicated to you by your trip lead at a later date.
You will have up to 14 days from submitting your additional details to withdraw from the DMU Global opportunity. If you no longer wish to participate in the opportunity, please email email@example.com.
Important: if you withdraw from the opportunity after 14 days of submitting your additional details you will be liable for costs incurred to the university, including full repayment of the DMU Global Bursary.