All DMU students are eligible to take part in one language class per academic year. The maximum number of places in each class is 25, and the minimum number of students required for classes to go ahead is 8. Please check our eligibility criteria for further details.
There are a variety of different language for students to choose from, including: Arabic; French; German; Japanese and Spanish.
Each class will develop the four language skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing, as well as an awareness of other cultures. Our tutors make sure the classes are engaging and interactive, encouraging conversations between each other. No previous knowledge is required to study any of the languages above. All classes start at beginner level and are designed to introduce you to learning a new language as well as equip you with more practical skills. This makes them ideal for anyone interested in learning a new language and for those who would like a refresher. Each class will involve independent learning and practical group work, giving you plenty of opportunities to develop you skills inside and outside the classroom.
Term one study options
(Applications open on Monday 11 November)
These classes will take place in term two (from January 2020) and will cover over 20 hours of teaching. The following languages will be available at beginner level:
|Language||Day||Time||Start date||End Date|
To study a language, you will need to complete the online application form as follows:
- Choose which language you would like to study and select your preferred class time
- Answer the following question: three reasons for selecting to study thus language. Your answer may refer to academic, professional or personal motivations.
With limited places available for each class, we expect a very high number of student applications and a competitive selection process. Selection decisions will be based on the quality of your answer to the question outlined above. To help with your application, we have provided some useful tips:
- Prepare your answer in advance of making the application
- Fully explain and showcase your interest in learning a language
- Make specific reference to the language you would like to study
- Clearly demonstrate your motivations with particular reference to the academic, professional or personal benefits
You will be notified of the outcome of your application by email within 7 days of the opportunity deadline closing.
Accepting your offer
Where possible, we will try to offer you your preferred class, however if this is not possible we will look to offer you an alternative day or time. If you are offered a place you will need to complete the following step to formally accept your place:
- Pay your participation fee of £30. In your offer email, you will be asked to make a payment for your course through the DMU Online Store. You will also need to agree to the terms and conditions of our language classes.
- Start date: Week commencing Monday 20 January 2020 (week 14)
- End date: Week commencing Monday 30 March 2020 (week 24)
- Languages available in term two: Arabic, French, German, Japanese and Spanish
- Successful applicants will also be required to pay a £30 participation fee
- Deadline for application: Monday 16 December 2019 9am