All DMU students are eligible to take part in one language class per academic year. The maximum number of places in each class is 25, and the minimum number of students required for classes to go ahead is 8. Please check our eligibility criteria for further details.
With a range of different study options, there is something for everyone wanting to learn a new language at DMU. You can choose to study one of the following languages:
Each class will develop the four language skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing, as well as awareness of relevant cultures. No previous knowledge is required to study any of the above languages. All classes start at beginner level and are designed to introduce you to language learning as well as equip you with practical skills. This makes them ideal for anyone interested in learning a new language, and for those who would like a refresher. Each class will involve independent learning and practical group work, giving you plenty of opportunities to develop your skills inside and outside the classroom.
Successful participants will be required to pay a £30 participation fee. This fee includes the cost of a textbook, which you will receive in your first class.
Term two study options
These classes will take place in term two (from January 2019) and will cover over 20 hours of teaching. The following languages will be available at beginner level:
Language Day Time Start date End Date
Arabic Monday 6-8pm Week 17 Week 26
French Tuesday 4-6pm Week 17 Week 26
French Tuesday 6-8pm Week 17 Week 26
French Wednesday 4-6pm Week 17 Week 26
German Wednesday 6-8pm Week 17 Week 26
German Thursday 4-6pm Week 17 Week 26
Japanese (application closed) Tuesday 6-8pm Week 17 Week 26
Japanese Thursday 4-6pm Week 17 Week 26
Spanish (application closed) Tuesday 4-6pm Week 17 Week 26
Spanish Thursday 4-6pm Week 17 Week 26
Spanish Thursday 6-8pm Week 17 Week 26
To study a language, you first need to complete the online application form (CLOSED). You will have to:
- Choose which language you would like to study and select your preferred class time
- Answer the following question: Please provide three reasons for selecting this language. Your answer may refer to academic, professional or personal motivations.
With limited places available for each class, we expect a very high number of student applications and a competitive selection process. Selection decisions will be based on the quality of your answer to the question outlined above. To help with your application, we have provided some useful tips:
- Prepare your answer in advance of making the application
- Fully explain and showcase your interest in languages
- Make specific reference to the language you would like to study
- Clearly demonstrate your motivations with particular reference to academic, professional or personal development
You will be notified of the outcome of your application by email within 7 days of the opportunity deadline closing.
Accepting your offer
Where possible, we will try to offer you your preferred class. However, we are not able to make any guarantees and you may be offered an alternative day or time for your selected language. If you are offered a place, you will need to complete the following step to formally accept your place:
- Pay your participation fee. In your offer email, you will be asked to make a payment for your course through the DMU online store. You will also need to agree to the terms and conditions of our classes.
- Start: Week commencing Monday 21 January 2019 (week 17)
- End: Week commencing Monday 25 April 2019 (week 26)
- Languages available in term two: Arabic, French, German, Japanese and Spanish
- Successful applicants will also be required to pay a £30 participation fee
- Deadline for application: Monday 3 December 2018 9am