The DMU Placement Service is working with the #DMUglobal team to give you the chance to carry out work placements abroad, helping you to take on and tailor valuable international experience which you can add to your CV.
A work placement is a period of DMU-approved work experience linked to or embedded as part of your degree. This could be a whole sandwich year placement or a shorter placement module.
You will be able to apply your academic knowledge to an international working environment, boost your skills and confidence, and show future employers that you have experienced a real workplace, communicated with staff at different levels and demonstrated responsibility and initiative.
With the potential to set you ahead in the job market, a placement overseas also gives you the chance to work and live in a different culture, learn a language and create global contacts that could last a lifetime.
All placements are managed by the DMU Placement Service with support from #DMUglobal. You will receive help finding a placement abroad as well as practical and cultural preparation for the experience.
You need to take the following steps to set up an international placement:
- Visit the placement team in your faculty as early as possible in your degree; placements are often set up more than a year in advance. Just drop by or use MyGateway to book an appointment. Please see the locations and emails for all the faculty placement teams below.
- The placements team will show you how to search the listings on MyGateway and register for a placement.
- You will be offered 1:1 appointments, workshops, events and interview practice to help you secure your international placement offer.
- Once you have secured a placement the placement team will give you information on how to register online with #DMUglobal.
A DMU tutor will support you during your placement and will usually visit you at least once. The placement team will also stay in touch and help you if any issues arise.
You will complete an academic assessment as part of your placement, which will be marked at DMU. On successfully passing the assessment, you will receive a Placement Certificate and the placement will be included on your Higher Education Achievement Record (HEAR).
Applications to go overseas on an International Placement in 2020-2021 close on Monday 31 August 2020 9am.
Faculty placement team locations and emails:
Art and Design – Clephan Building 0.28
Business and Law – Hugh Aston 0.36
Computing, Engineering and Media – Gateway House 4.13
Health and Life Sciences – Edith Murphy 1.23
If you have any questions about the #DMUglobal application requirements or process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fees & Financial Support
For an International Placement for a year abroad you pay a small fee to DMU. This fee includes the ongoing support from DMU and access to services such as the Library, DSU, Student Services, Counselling and Welfare. The current fees are:
- Home/EU students – £650*
- International students – £750*
*This is the current fee for 2019-20 and may be subject to change
All students that are accepted for an International Placement can receive a £400 bursary from DMU Global.
Need help deciding? Have questions? Get in touch with the Student Exchange team.
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 0116 257 7613
- Office: Visit us in Portland 0.37 between 9am and 12pm Monday to Thursday