What is Widening Participation Funding (WPF)?
De Montfort University (DMU) has a long record in supporting the widening participation agenda and has significant experience in meeting the needs of underrepresented groups both pre-application and post entry. We believe that every student should also have the chance to take part in international opportunities and we would like to support students from underrepresented groups to make the best of their time at DMU.
In order to make DMU Global opportunities more accessible we have set up a special fund to help high achieving students from widening participation groups that need additional financial support.
Who is eligible to apply?
All students offered a place on a DMU Global academic-led trip that fall into one or more of the categories below can can apply for WPF:
- Students from low-income backgrounds
- Students who have a disability or medical condition
- Students from a background in care
- Mature students
- Students from low-participation neighbourhoods (where very few people go on to higher education)
- Students whose parents did not go to university
- Students from an ethnic minority
How much financial support is available?
The funding is paid as a supplement to the DMU Global bursary and offers a further £200 for all opportunities.
How to apply
Before applying for WPF, you must have been offered and formally accepted your place for a DMU Global academic-led trip. In your application you must:
- Provide accurate information about your financial situation
- Clearly explain your motivations, why you are in need of support and how you will benefit from taking part in this academic-led trip. Each answer should be approximately 200 words.
- Confirm that you are committed to participating in mandatory DMU Global ambassadorial duties which may include, but are not limited to: news stories, case studies and promotion of the DMU Global opportunity via social media.
1. Students can apply for the WPF by completing the online application form. Our team will be happy to help you if you require any support to complete the form. Please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Once you have applied, a panel will review and make a decision on your application. You will be notified of the outcome of your application within 14 days of the application deadline closing. All decisions taken by the panel are final.
3. If your application has been successful, you may then be asked to update your bank details via the My Bank Account tile on MyDMU. You may have already updated your bank details for the standard DMU Global funding.
How we review applications
Our aim is to review all WPF applications in a fair, equal and transparent manner. Your application will be reviewed and scored based on the following criteria:
- Meeting the general eligibility criteria of being accepted for an academic-led trip
- Consideration of your previous academic record at DMU
- Demonstration of your financial need and how you will benefit from the extra financial support
- Meeting at least one of the widening participation categories (see above)
- The quality and content of the supporting statements
Deadlines for 2019 – 2020
|Application round||Trip dates||Additional funding application deadline|
|1||1 September – 31 December 2019||
|2||1 January – 26 April 2020||
|3||27 April – 31 August 2020||9 March – 30 March 2020, 9am|