Second year Business Entrepreneurship and Innovation students enrolled on Contemporary Management (CORP2165) as well as Postgraduate students enrolled on Business Creation and Innovation (ENTE5000) and Business Across Cultures (LCBS5042 ) are eligible to participate in this opportunity. Students enrolled on all entrepreneurship programmes (both undergraduate and postgraduate) are also welcome to apply. The maximum number of places on this opportunity is 50 and the minimum the trip will go ahead with is 10. DMU staff will be accompanying the group.
DMU students are only eligible to receive one academic-led trip bursary per year. Please check our eligibility criteria for further details.
Engaging with the Hunan University of Humanity, Science and Technology (HUHST) in Hunan Loudi, this trip aims to enhance experiences and opportunities for students who wish to understand, explore and gain a better grasp of how to enhance their employment potential. With a proactive entrepreneurial atmosphere and a rich history and culture, Loudi offers students a true Chinese cultural experience and the opportunity to learn how a true entrepreneur can drive business to success.
Throughout the opportunity their will be an emphasis on experiential learning, with participants visiting three main local businesses that vary in size. During these visits, students will:
- Explore their external business environments – such as their industry networks – in novel ways that maximise value to customers in local to domestic/international markets
- Develop creative organisational climates that will encourage the implementation of new internal processes and the learning of new skills
- Understand networks and relationship marketing techniques that provide sources for new ideas – both downstream and upstream
- Observe both entrepreneurial (growth in small firms) and intrapreneurial (renewal/transformation in large organisations) behaviour.
The trip gives participants a significant opportunity to think and develop their own ideas and apply them to a real business situation. Furthermore, the trip will help students to gain a deeper understanding of some of the issues covered in their studies at different levels and to apply theory to real practice. At the end of the trip, students will work with their local volunteer buddies in business stimulation competition to test their intercultural competencies.
Outside of the trips organised itinerary, participants are encouraged to explore Loudi town centre, which includes markets and a variety of street food. A trip on the bullet train to Changsha (the capital city of Hunan) is also recommended. Finally, students can visit the popular Boyue Cave near Lengshui River, a cave with an underground route of 1800 meters depth covering a total area of 40,000 square meters.
Travel and accommodation
- Travel – Students are required to independently book their travel
- Accommodation – The faculty will book accommodation for this opportunity, and students will be expected to pay the full amount following confirmation of their place.
- Trip-specific enquiries – Landy Yang – firstname.lastname@example.org
- General enquiries – #DMUglobal Office – email@example.com
British nationals need a visa to enter mainland China. Students of other nationalities should check the Chinese Embassy website. Please note that as part of the visa application you will need to attend an appointment at the Chinese Embassy to provide biometric data with your application.
The #DMUglobal team can provide visa support letters as required, and proof of enrolment can be obtained from the Student Gateway. You must ensure that you apply for your visa as soon as you have been formally accepted to this opportunity by #DMUglobal. You are responsible for checking processing times and meeting all application requirements in order to ensure that you receive your visa prior to departure. Be aware that immigration decisions are made by individual embassies.
- Departure date: Friday 1 November 2019
- Return date: Friday 8 November 2019
- Estimated cost of flights, and accommodation: £700
- Students will also be required to pay for: transfers, entry fees cultural activities, food & drink and visa (£181)
- #DMUglobal bursary: £400
- Deadline for application: Wednesday 29 May 2019 9am