Engineering and Sustainable Development, Physics and Engineering students enrolled on PHYS1001 Physics Fundamentals, ENGZ0001Quantitative Methods, and ENGD1001 Engineering Mathematic are eligible to apply for this opportunity. Applications from students on ENGD2001 Applied Electronics, ENGD2003 Embedded Systems, ENGD3037 System Integration and ENGD3001 Advanced Digital Design will also be considered. The maximum number of places on this opportunity is 25 and the minimum the trip will go ahead with is 10. DMU staff will be accompanying the group.
DMU students are only eligible to receive one academic-led trip bursary per year. Please check our eligibility criteria for further details.
Students on engineering courses within the Faculty of Technology are invited to participate in a visit to Germany and Czech Republic to explore a wide range of world-leading research and development facilities.
The main focus of this trip will be a visit to the Rohde & Schwarz R&D Test & Measurement manufacturing facilities in both Memmingen Germany, and Vimperk in the Czech Republic. In addition, the students will be given demonstrations, a short talk and extended discussion on the opportunities available within the company.
The Vimperk plant is the first Rohde & Schwarz factory outside Germany established in 2001, which now employs over 700 people.As part of the visit students will see the following industrial activities in action at the Rohde & Schwarz Vimperk facility:
- Metal Working – Sheet Metal Processing and Finishing
- Cable Production
- Production of Electronic Assemblies
- End Production – Final Assembly, commissioning & testing
- …and much more
Similarly, students will also visit the Memmingen plant to the West of Munich in which they will be able to see the following processes:
- Electronic Manufacturing Services
- Hardware & Software Development
- EMC testing
- Printed circuit board assembly
- Development of test system hardware, test applications for assemblies, modules & instruments
- Fulfilment Services
Students will also have the chance to explore the culture of Czech Republic and Bavaria. Following the visits at Vimperk in the Czech Republic, students will have the opportunity to visit the Budvar Brewery at České Budějovice to see first-hand the manufacturing process for this famous Czech beer.
In Munich (which is Germany’s third largest city and Bavarian capital), there are a number of optional cultural activities that students can participate in. Students are recommended to visit BMW Welt (World). The museum showcases the technical development of cars and motorcycles and also has some exhibits about the history of the company. Many old cars and motorcycles are on display along a spiral ramp that curls along the inside of the bowl-shaped building.
Travel and accommodation
- Travel – Students are required to independently book their travel to Munich.
- Accommodation – The faculty will book accommodation for this opportunity, and students will be expected to pay the full amount following confirmation of their place.
Please note, that students will be required to contribute towards the cost of the coach travel (est. £140) for the visits to Memmingen and Vimperk.
- Trip-specific enquiries – Manbir Sambhi – email@example.com
- General enquiries – #DMUglobal Office – firstname.lastname@example.org
In order to participate in this trip, you are responsible for ensuring that you meet the German and Czech immigration requirements.
EU nationals will not require a visa to travel to another EU country.
The #DMUglobal team can provide visa support letters as required, and proof of enrolment can be obtained from the Student Gateway. You must ensure that you apply for your Schengen visa as soon as you have been formally accepted to this opportunity by #DMUglobal. You are responsible for checking processing times and meeting all application requirements in order to ensure that you receive your visa prior to departure. Be aware that immigration decisions are made by individual embassies.
- Departure date: Sunday 24 February 2019
- Return date: Thursday 28 February 2019
- Estimated cost of travel and accommodation: £250
- Students will also be required to pay for: UK and in-country transfers (£40), travel between Germany and Czech Republic (£140), food & drink, cultural activities (£25), and visa (if applicable)
- #DMUglobal bursary: £150
- Deadline for application: Monday 12 November 2018 9am