Postgraduate students studying MSc Global Banking and Finance and MSc Global Finance and Investment are eligible to apply for this opportunity, with priority given to those enrolled on MSc Global Banking and Finance. Students should be or have been enrolled on ACFI5040 International Financial Markets and Institutions. Other postgraduate students such as MSc Accounting and Finance and MSc Forensic Accounting with a demonstrable interest in Finance are welcome to apply.
The maximum number of places on this opportunity is 20 and the minimum the trip will go ahead with is 10. DMU staff will be accompanying the group.
DMU students are only eligible to receive one academic-led trip bursary per year. Please check our eligibility criteria for further details.
The trip will provide students with the opportunity to explore the financial district of New York, including a walking tour of Wall Street, learning about the financial institutions there and gaining an understanding of how the most recent financial crisis unfolded. There will be an opportunity to visit the headquarters of Bloomberg, a major participant in the finance industry, giving an insight into the development of the Bloomberg trading system, which is available for use at DMU, as well as seeing the work offices of Bloomberg TV and radio. Students will also undertake a tour of the United Nations Headquarters.
As well as organised academic activities, you will have the opportunity to explore some of New York’s most famous and exciting landmarks, venues and districts. There will be opportunities (entrance fees required) to go up the Empire State Building, visit Liberty Island, ascending to the pedestal of the Statue of Liberty, as well as stopping off at the Ellis Island Immigration Museum.
Travel and accommodation
- Travel – Students are required to independently book their travel.
- Accommodation – The faculty will book accommodation for this opportunity, and students will be expected to pay the full amount following confirmation of their place.
- Trip-specific enquiries – Gregory James – firstname.lastname@example.org
- General enquiries – #DMUglobal Office – email@example.com
In order to participate in this trip, you are responsible for ensuring that you meet the US immigration requirements.
All students will require an ESTA or some kind of visa to travel to the USA. Further information will be provided to all accepted students regarding the type of visa required and how to apply. If you have any specific questions about this please email firstname.lastname@example.org for advice. Please note that you are responsible for checking processing times and meeting all application requirements in order to ensure that you receive your visa prior to departure. Please be aware that immigration decisions are made by individual embassies.
- Departure date: Sunday 16 June 2019
- Return date: Thursday 20 June 2019
- Estimated cost of travel and accommodation: £800
- Students will also be required to pay for: UK and in-country transfers, food & drink, visa (if applicable)
- #DMUglobal bursary: £400
- Deadline for application: Monday 18 February 2019 9am