Second year Education Studies students undertaking the EDUC2330 module Forest School and Outdoor Learning are eligible to participate in this opportunity. The maximum number of places on this opportunity is 20 and the minimum the trip will go ahead with is 10. DMU staff will be accompanying the group.
DMU students are only eligible to receive one academic-led trip bursary per year. Please check our eligibility criteria for further details.
Finland tops the Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA), which measures 15-year-old school pupils’ scholastic performance on mathematics, science, and reading tables, and has done so for many years. One key factor behind their success is an emphasis on outdoor, practical learning opportunities and healthy related physical activity sessions, which are a regular feature in the curriculum.
As such the main purpose of the visit for students is to gain an insight into outdoor learning in Finnish Schools As such students will visit schools (Teacher training school and a nature school) to get a first hand experience of how outdoor learning is embedded throughout the school day. There will also be a talk by the course director about education programmes offered by Oulu with a focus on outdoor learning and teaching training. The activities will be delivered in cooperation with the University of Oulu where DMU has an established Erasmus+ partnership.
Students will also be given a guided tour of the campus and meet Finnish students studying education at the University of Oulu.
On one of the days students will be given a guided walking tour of Oulu and have some free time for sightseeing and shopping. Dinner that evening will be arranged in a local restaurant.
Travel and accommodation
- Travel – Students are required to independently book their travel.
- Accommodation – The faculty will book accommodation for this opportunity, and students will be expected to pay the full amount following confirmation of their place.
- Trip-specific enquiries – Dave Cudworth – email@example.com
- General enquiries – #DMUglobal Office – firstname.lastname@example.org
In order to participate in this trip, you are responsible for ensuring that you meet the Finnish immigration requirements. EU nationals will not require a visa to travel to another EU country.
The #DMUglobal team can provide visa support letters as required, and proof of enrolment can be obtained from the Student Gateway. You must ensure that you apply for your Schengen visa as soon as you have been formally accepted to this opportunity by #DMUglobal. You are responsible for checking processing times and meeting all application requirements in order to ensure that you receive your visa prior to departure. Be aware that immigration decisions are made by individual embassies.
- Departure date: Monday 13 May 2019
- Return date: Thursday 16 May2019
- Estimated cost of travel and accommodation: £280-300
- Students will also be required to pay for: UK and in-country transfers, food and drink, and visa (if applicable)
- #DMUglobal bursary: £150
- Deadline for application: Thursday 28 February 2019 9am