All DMU students are eligible to take part in one language class per academic year. The maximum number of places in each class is 25, and the minimum number of students required for classes to go ahead is 8. Please check our eligibility criteria for further details.
With a range of different study options, there is something for everyone wanting to learn a new language at DMU. You can choose to study one of the following languages:
Taught using both English and your chosen foreign language, each class will develop the four language skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing, as well as awareness of relevant cultures. No previous knowledge is required to study any of the above languages. The classes are ideal for anyone interested in learning a new language, and for those who would like a refresher. Each class will involve independent learning and practical group work, giving you plenty of opportunities to develop your skills inside and outside the classroom.
Successful participants will be required to pay a £30 participation fee. This fee will include the cost of a textbook, which you will receive in your first class.
Term one study options
These classes will take place in term one (from October 2018) and will cover over 40 hours of teaching. These classes will start at beginner level and will progress to post-beginner level after approximately 20-hours of teaching. The following languages will be available to apply for in term one:
|Language||Day||Time||Start date||End Date|
|Arabic||Monday||4-6pm||Week 4||Week 26|
|French||Wednesday||2-4pm||Week 4||Week 26|
|French||Wednesday||4-6pm||Week 4||Week 26|
|German||Wednesday||4-6pm||Week 4||Week 26|
|German||Thursday||4-6pm||Week 4||Week 26|
|Spanish||Monday||4-6pm||Week 4||Week 26|
|Spanish||Tuesday||6-8pm||Week 4||Week 26|
|Japanese||Tuesday||4-6pm||Week 4||Week 26|
To study a language, you first need to complete the online application form. You will have to:
- Choose which language you would like to study and select your preferred class time
- Answer the following question: Please provide three reasons for selecting this language. Your answer may refer to academic, professional or personal motivations.
You will be notified of the outcome of your application by email within 7 days of the opportunity deadline closing.
Accepting your offer
Where possible, we will try to offer you your preferred class. However, we are not able to make any guarantees and you may be offered an alternative day or time for your selected language. If you are offered a place, you will need to complete the following step to formally accept your place:
- Pay your participation fee. In your offer email, you will be asked to make a payment for your course through the DMU online store. You will also need to agree to the terms and conditions of our classes.
- Start: Week 4
- End: Week 26
- Languages available in term one: Arabic, French, German, Japanese and Spanish
- Successful applicants will also be required to pay a £30 participation fee
- Deadline for application: Monday 15 October 2018 9am