The DMU Placement Service is working with the #DMUglobal team to give you the chance to carry out work placements abroad, helping you to take on and tailor valuable international experience which you can add to your CV.
A work placement is a period of DMU-approved work experience linked to or embedded as part of your degree. This could be a whole sandwich year placement or a shorter placement module.
You will be able to apply your academic knowledge to an international working environment, boost your skills and confidence, and show future employers that you have experienced a real workplace, communicated with staff at different levels and demonstrated responsibility and initiative.
With the potential to set you ahead in the job market, a placement overseas also gives you the chance to work and live in a different culture, learn a language and create global contacts that could last a lifetime.
All placements are managed by the DMU Placement Service with support from #DMUglobal. You will receive help finding a placement abroad as well as practical and cultural preparation for the experience.
You need to take the following steps to set up an international placement:
- Visit the placement team in your faculty as early as possible in your degree; placements are often set up more than a year in advance. Just drop by or use MyGateway to book an appointment. Please see the locations and emails for all the faculty placement teams below.
- The placements team will show you how to search the listings on MyGateway and register for a placement.
- You will be offered 1:1 appointments, workshops, events and interview practice to help you secure your international placement offer.
- Once you have secured a placement the placement team will give you information on how to register online with #DMUglobal.
A DMU tutor will support you during your placement and will usually visit you at least once. The placement team will also stay in touch and help you if any issues arise.
You will complete an academic assessment as part of your placement, which will be marked at DMU. On successfully passing the assessment, you will receive a Placement Certificate and the placement will be included on your Higher Education Achievement Record (HEAR).
Faculty placement team locations and emails:
Health and Life Sciences – Edith Murphy 1.23
Technology – Gateway House 4.13
Business and Law – Hugh Aston 0.36
Art and Design – Clephan Building 0.28
If you have any questions about the #DMUglobal application requirements or process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Departure date: Dependent on your individual placement.
- Return date: Dependent on the length of your placement.
- Cost of opportunity: Dependent on the host country.
- Bursary: For placements outside Europe students will receive a £400 #DMUglobal bursary. Placements in Europe may qualify for an Erasmus+ grant co-funded by the European Union via the British Council; grants will be confirmed in the summer of 2018. Placements in Europe which do not qualify for an Erasmus+ grant will be eligible for a £150 #DMUglobal bursary.
- Eligibility: All students registered on a full degree at DMU, including international students.
- Application deadline: Applications for #DMUglobal support must be received by Monday 4 June 2018 9am, following completion of all other steps.