Second and third year undergraduate students studying in the Faculties Business and Law, and Technology are eligible to apply for this opportunity. The maximum number of places on this opportunity is 50 and the minimum the trip will go ahead with is 10. DMU staﬀ will be accompanying the group.
DMU students are only eligible to receive one extra-curricular trip bursary per year. Please check our eligibility criteria for further details.
This is a joint DMU Square Mile India trip with the Faculties of Technology and Business and Law. It has the aim of exploring how the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are implemented on the ground in Ahmedabad, India, from the perspective of business, law and technology.
Ahmedabad is the largest city in the state of Gujarat in the West of India. It is an important economic and industrial hub, one of the fastest growing cities, and it was selected as one of the first Indian cities to be developed as a smart city under the Government flagship ‘Smart Cities Mission’. For example it is the home to several high tech companies providing IT consultancy and App development to global as well as local customers. A city of contrasts, recently, the Historic City of Ahmadabad (or Old Ahmadabad) was declared as India’s first UNESCO World Heritage City.
Six key activities are proposed, two are faculty specific, and four are joint proposals between the faculties:
- Energy and the built environment (Technology IESD-led)
- Establishing legal entities (Business and Law: Law-led)
- The role of mobile phones (CSI-led)
- Business and trade development in the ‘Loving Community’ (Business-led)
- Gender equality
- Community media (Tech: LMS-led)
Further details and descriptions of each of the opportunities and the academic activities these entail can be found here.
Cultural activities may include visits to temples, markets and other cultural sites, as well as activities embedded into daily activities.Cultural activities
Travel and accommodation
Flights and accommodation for this opportunity will be booked by DMU Square Mile.
- Trip-specific enquiries – Amy White – email@example.com
- General enquiries – #DMUglobal Office – firstname.lastname@example.org
In order to participate in this trip you are responsible for ensuring that you meet the Indian immigration requirements.
The #DMUglobal team will provide documents as required. You must ensure that you apply for your visa as soon as you have been formally accepted on to this opportunity by #DMUglobal. You are responsible for checking processing times and meeting all application requirements in order to ensure that you receive your visa prior to departure. Please be aware that immigration decisions are made by individual embassies.
Most students will need a visa to visit India, and more information can be found on the gov.uk website. Contact the High Commission of India to find out how to apply for a visa. The Square Mile Team will be able to help and advise with obtaining a visa.
- Departure date: Monday 25 February 2019
- Return date: Saturday 2 March 2019
- Estimated cost of travel, accommodation and transfers: £850
- Students will also be required to pay for: cultural visits, transport for sightseeing, food and drink, vaccinations and visa (if applicable)
- Square Mile India Bursary: £100
- #DMUglobal bursary: £400
- Deadline for application: Monday 29 October 2018 9am