All DMU students are eligible to participate in this opportunity. The maximum number of places on this opportunity is 30 and the minimum the trip will go ahead with is 10. DMU staff will be accompanying the group. We encourage all eligible students to apply, and particularly welcome applications from:
- Students with a demonstrable interested in innovation and enterprise
- Students with a demonstrable interest in freelancing and start-ups
- Students with a business plan or idea that they would like to develop
- Students that can articulate the benefits of the opportunity from an employability perspective
Priority will be given to students who can clearly demonstrate that they either have an existing business idea or fully formed business plan which they intend to take forward. DMU students are only eligible to receive one extra-curricular trip bursary per year. Please check our eligibility criteria for further details.
Please note that as this opportunity takes place during a teaching week, all students are expected to receive permission to participate from their personal tutor or programme leader.
More and more employers are asking for video applications as part of the recruitment process, and this #DMUglobal opportunity will offer students the chance to put in practice something they may be required to do in the job market. Thus, for this opportunity all students are required to submit a #DMUglobal application and upload the video application here (CLOSED). As part of the video application process, students are recommended to:
- Provide a brief personal introduction about themselves
- Explain their interest in this specific opportunity and their motivations for applying
- Provide details of a business plan or a specific business idea that they would like to develop
- Submit a video that is approximately between 2-3 minutes in duration
Here are some tips and ideas for making a good video application….
- Plan before you film so that you have an idea of what you will say
- Think about the format that suits you best. This could be sitting in a room alone talking to your phone, being interviewed by a friend or even creating a video/slideshow with a voiceover
- Make sure your video is clear and audible
- Dress smart and behave professionally, as though it is a video application for a job
- Watch the video back and make any edits to ensure it is of a high standard
Please make sure that you complete the online application and the video application.
Los Angeles has a flourishing hub of innovative companies putting down roots outside of the San Francisco tech epicenter. Known as “Silicon Beach,” due to its proximity to surf and sand, the tech community’s attraction to the area is partly credited to its proximity to LAX and the diversity of LA’s industries. This DMUworks Enterprise opportunity to Los Angeles will give students the chance experience the burst of technology and creative start-ups in this new hotbed for entrepreneurship in the United States. The trip will give students the chance to engage with the University of Southern California Technology Innovation and Entrepreneurship Department.
The group will be based close to Silicon Beach in Marina Del Rey, where they will be able to engage with the Viterbi Startup Garage, a unique incubator for early-stage technology
startups. It is proposed that the group would visit the Garage to learn about how the University supports start-ups, the businesses it supports through its coworking space, and the types of mentors and experts who support the new ventures.
LA Kretz Innovation Campus is a space where science, entrepreneurship, environmentalism and policy making merge to advance the development of a sustainable future that includes clean and abundant water supplies, a commitment to 100% renewable energy, and an inclusive green economy. It is also a showcase for labs, working exhibits and educational opportunities for customers, students and visitors alike, offering ways to save money, conserve water and electricity and learn valuable information on rebates available to all LADWP customers.
Students can expect to visit organisations such as Girlboss – a community of strong, curious, and ambitious women redefining success. Girlboss inform, entertain, and inspire action through the content and experiences they create. We will also seek to participate in local start-up workshops and events (tbc).
By participating in this trip, students will learn about the thriving entrepreneurial eco-system within Los Angeles and what makes it so successful. Students will learn first-hand how entrepreneurs develop and grow their ideas by being part of this growing eco-system.
What inspires the local freelancers and start-ups? What organisations are supporting them and how? What can we learn and apply back here at DMU and in Leicester? This trip aims to deliver the answers to these questions and participating students will be asked to work together and present back their findings on return to the UK.
In your spare time, you will be able to explore a number of iconic locations including the Hollywood Walk of Fame and Grauman’s Chinese Theatre on Hollywood Boulevard. Furthermore, students are encouraged visit the nearby Venice Beach, known for its bohemian spirit, diverse shops, street performers and colourful murals.
Students will also be free to explore other cultural activities and centres in Los Angeles, such as the Getty Centre, the Natural History Museum, and the Museum of Contemporary Arts.
Travel and accommodation
Travel and hostel accommodation will be booked by DMU for this opportunity, and students will be expected to pay the remaining amount via the DMU Online Store within 14 days of receiving an offer of acceptance. The #DMUglobal bursary will be deducted from the cost of the trip.
UK and in-country transfers, Virgin Atlantic flights and shared accommodation at the HI Hostel Santa Monica will be included in the cost of the trip.
- Contact details
In order to participate in this trip you are responsible for ensuring that you meet the US immigration requirements.
All students will require an ESTA or some kind of visa to travel to the USA. Further information will be provided to all accepted students regarding the type of visa required and how to apply. If you have any specific questions about this please email email@example.com for advice. Please note that you are responsible for checking processing times and meeting all application requirements in order to ensure that you receive your visa prior to departure. Please be aware that immigration decisions are made by individual embassies.
- Departure date: Sunday 2 February 2020
- Return date: Friday 7 February 2020 (landing Saturday 8 February)
- Cost to student: £365
- Cost of flights, accommodation and transfers: £765
- Students will also be required to pay for: cultural activities, food & drink and visa/ESTA
- #DMUglobal bursary: £400 (deducted from the total cost)
- Deadline for application: Monday 21 October 2019 9am