Second and third year Accounting and Finance students enrolled on Financial Reporting (ACFI2307) or Advanced Financial Reporting (ACFI3221) are eligible to apply for this opportunity. The maximum number of places on this opportunity is 35 students and the minimum the trip will go ahead with is 15 students. DMU staff will be accompanying the group.
DMU students are only eligible to receive one academic-led trip bursary per year. Please check our eligibility criteria for further details.
Chicago, the “windy city” is among the largest cities in the U.S. and one of the country’s leading industrial centres. Famed for its bold architecture, it has a skyline punctuated by skyscrapers such as the Willis Tower (formerly the Sears Tower) and the neo-Gothic Tribune Tower. Chicago is also home to a number of large corporations, a federal bank region and has a thriving accounting and finance profession.
As part of this trip students will undertake a number of visits to institutions such as the federal reserve bank, finance organisations and accounting focused institutes. This will allow the students to understand how financial accounting and corporate reporting operates on a regional, national global and international scale and how accounting and finance underpins commerce globally. Students will be able to obtain an understanding of accounting and finance from a US viewpoint and allow them to compare their own theoretical understanding to this practice based perceptive.
Cultural activities will include visits to the Willis Tower (previously Sears Tower), Millennium Park, a trip on Lake Michigan and an evening visit to Wrigley Field to see the Chicago Cubs Baseball Team.
Travel and accommodation
- Travel – Students are required to independently book their travel.
- Accommodation – The faculty will book accommodation for this opportunity, and students will be expected to pay the full amount following confirmation of their place.
- Trip-specific enquiries – Lisa Wakefield – firstname.lastname@example.org
- General enquiries – #DMUglobal Office – email@example.com
In order to participate in this trip, you are responsible for ensuring that you meet the US immigration requirements.
All students will require an ESTA or some kind of visa to travel to the USA. Further information will be provided to all accepted students regarding the type of visa required and how to apply. If you have any specific questions about this please email firstname.lastname@example.org for advice. Please note that you are responsible for checking processing times and meeting all application requirements in order to ensure that you receive your visa prior to departure. Please be aware that immigration decisions are made by individual embassies.
- Departure date: Monday 10 June 2019
- Return date: Friday 14 June 2019
- Estimated cost of travel and accommodation: £750
- • Students will also be required to pay for: UK and in-country transfers, cultural activities, food & drink, visa (if applicable)
- #DMUglobal bursary: £400
- Deadline for application: Monday 18 February 2019 9am